I have a love-hate-love-hate relationship with salad. In Spring, I usually go nuts and have crazy salads for days in a row. After a few solid weeks, I’m 100% off salad.
This year I’ve made an effort to not necessarily cut back on salad, but take it easy so I don’t stop eating it. Growing our own lettuce makes this whole process a p-i-t-a.
But I digress. It’s now fall (feels like winter- this girl *hates* being cold), and all I want is salad… Go figure.
I have a few rules for salad:
- Store bought salad dressing is for suckers
- Organic baby greens taste best
- When in doubt (or supply): add cabbage
- Load it up with toppings- those are what make it enjoyable
- And last but certainly not least: Don’t forget the cheese!
This is my lunch today. I’m fortunate to have a husband that makes amazing smoked salmon, and I love it with blue cheese. I’m a bit of a tomato fiend as well- grape tomatoes are the best. In the background there’s a haid boiled egg and pepitas. Pepitas are delicious and you can’t say pepitas without smiling. As for dressing- I like to keep it simple. Generally, I just use extra virgin olive oil with salt and pepper.